- ASX SPI 200 futures up 0.9% to 7,164.00
- Dow Average up 1.1% to 34,954.39
- Aussie up 0.4% to 0.7153 per US$
- U.S. 10-year yield rose 5.3bps to 2.0416%
- Australia 3-year bond yield rose 5bps to 1.65%
- Australia 10-year bond yield rose 5bps to 2.19%
- Gold spot down 0.9% to $1,854.77
- Brent futures down 3.4% to $93.19/bbl
- 10:30am: (AU) Jan. Westpac Leading Index MoM, prior -0.03%
- 11am: (AU) Australia to Sell A$1 Billion 4.5% 2033 Bonds
- 7:45pm: (AU) Guy Debelle, deputy governor of the Reserve Bank of Australia, and Michele Bullock, assistant governor (Financial System) are set to appear before the Senate Economics Legislation Committee.
Stocks climbed, while bonds fell with the dollar as speculation that geopolitical tensions could be easing overshadowed data showing U.S. inflation is still running hot.
The equity market halted a three-day drop as Russian President Vladimir Putinsaid he hopes for a diplomatic solution to tensions with the U.S. and its allies and announced a partial pullback of thousands of troops massed near the Ukrainian border. The tech-heavy Nasdaq 100 outperformed major benchmarks, while energy producers joined a slump in oil. Treasury 10-year yields topped 2%.
Markets have whipsawed as the Ukraine crisis added to existing concerns over inflationary pressures and the withdrawal of stimulus by the Federal Reserve. The U.S. producer price index jumped in January by more than forecast as companies contend with supply-chain and labor constraints.
A TikToker has claimed they were charged for air when they rented out a home by an Airbnb host.
The social media user @papiwhiterice posted a brief clip on the site just three days ago and it has already picked up more than 174,000 views and hundreds of comments.
The TikTok footage showed an air conditioner thermostat locked behind what appears to be a coin-operated lockbox.
The person who posted the clip added the text “When our Airbnb host charges you for air.”
Although the location of the property is not mentioned, the brand of the lockbox is said to be produced by a company in Madrid, Spain, according to the Daily Dot.
The lockbox is described on the brand’s website as consumption limiter “for saving and controlling the cost of electricity in hotels, hostels, rural houses, and all types of accommodation. They work by time, by coins or tokens.”