- ASX SPI 200 futures down 0.5% to 7,394.00
- Dow Average down 0.8% to 34,577.57
- Aussie down 0.6% to 0.7322 per US$
- U.S. 10-year yield fell 4.6bps to 1.2803%
- Australia 3-year bond yield fell 3bps to 0.22%
- Australia 10-year bond yield fell 2bps to 1.25%
- Gold spot up 0.6% to $1,805.31
- Brent futures up 0.3% to $73.70/bbl
- 10:30am: (AU) Sept. Westpac Consumer Conf SA MoM, prior -4.4%
- 10:30am: (AU) Sept. Westpac Consumer Conf Index, prior 104.1
Treasuries rallied and U.S. stocks declined after a less-than-forecast increase in inflation was seen as giving Federal Reserve officials more flexibility when it comes to pulling back on stimulus. The dollar fluctuated.
Yields on benchmark 10-year notes fell 5 basis points to 1.26%, narrowing the yield gap between short- and longer-maturity U.S. debt. The financial, industrial and energy sectors led the S&P 500 lower even after the Labor Department reported that the consumer price index increased 0.3% from July. Economists called for a 0.4% gain. The Dow Jones Industrial Average was weighed down by Goldman Sachs Group Inc. and Caterpillar Inc.
An Australian man has set the Guinness World Record for the longest plank.
Daniel Scali, the man in question, remained in a plank position for 9 hours, 30 minutes and 1 second.
He took part in the competition for chronic pain awareness. Taking to his Instagram, he shared his achievement of receiving the longest time in an abdominal plank position (male). He has complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS), a rare condition that causes “excess and prolonged pain and inflammation” following an “injury to an arm or leg.”
Scali revealed that he developed the condition after breaking his left arm at 12 years old.
“This process has been a rollercoaster of emotions after my first effort not being accepted and then having to find the strength to re-attempt knowing the mental and physical battle that was ahead of me. Thank you to everyone who has been along for the ride. I am so appreciative of the support!” Scali wrote, in part, on an Instagram post. Scali beat record holder George Hood, an American endurance athlete. In 2020, Hood planked for 8 hours, 15 minutes and 15 seconds.